I don’t juggle very well. Just had an image in my brain of a woman attempting to juggle a dozen plates in the air. Personally I have never been a good juggler. This is how I feel today and many days lately. How many of you women out there can relate? I bet there are tons!
I know that each individual woman has a variety of plates in the air. Some are similar to mine and some different. My plates are:
1. Family. Surprised to find that having a college freshman does not free me up more. Yesterday I spent almost 2 hours dealing with some administrative issues with the college. I spoke with 6 different people at USM yesterday. I’m not complaining. Taking care of my family is a pleasure.
2. Home Admin such as medical insurance. Spent a couple of hours so far this week working on insurance stuff with the new rates and plans. Spent an hour talking to Verizon.
3. Medical. Spent over two hours making medical appointments, getting prescriptions refilled and transferring records for the family.
4. Home Maintenance – I don’t even want to talk about laundry and housecleaning.
5. Home Maintenance – Grocery shopping. I don’t know how Helen and other women do the coupon thing. But I can’t wait to decorate for Christmas. I love decorating for the holidays!
6. Mom – My mom is out of town and I spent 2 hours trying to help with her care. I never do enough here.
7. Church – My husband wanted to give me some church ministry stuff. Love this but sometimes it feels like a lot.
8. BCA – I am administrator for a home school. Finally got caught up with a huge pile on my desk but this job is ongoing.
9. Thrift Store – BCA has a thrift store. I am drowning here. Anyone want to volunteer?
10. Mary Kay – I started a Mary Kay business again because I want some financial security and I need to help with college for the boys.
11 My health – This is last and usually what suffers the most … exercise, time with friends, days off, etc. If you are a friend disappointed that I haven’t spent more time with you sorry. You are not alone. This is a big reason I love texting to connect. Yes I know face to face is much better but sometimes this is all I have.
12. Writing – I LOVE to write. I have one book and a publishing company is waiting for my final draft. I’m late getting it in.
If you are a woman reading this I know you have your own list. Maybe longer than mine. My reply to “how do you do it” is not profound. One day at a time. Sometimes one hour at a time.
Something I did not list is “Spiritual.” I didn’t list it because everything I do should really come from this. Sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn’t. Maintaining my own relationship with the Lord takes work on my part to make it a priority. Some of you like to be spontaneous with your prayer/Bible reading but that just doesn’t work for me. If I don’t put it on my schedule it just doesn’t happen more often than not.
When I worked Mary Kay in the past I was blessed to have a part time assistant and housekeeper which I paid for from my Mary Kay income. This would be a huge blessing. In the meantime I will just take one day at a time.
Even before I married and had children I had plates I was juggling. It seemed to be easier back then. Or maybe I just forgot.
Currently I am doing a personal Bible Study called “Breathe” by Priscilla Shirer. It’s good to be reminded that I need space to hear God speak, room to feel His peace and rest. Time to feel gratitude and sabbath of the heart. Sometimes I’m tempted to pack a small bag, my dog and take off for a couple of weeks to be still. To sit at His feet and listen. To hear the ocean in the stillness. What are you sometimes tempted to do?
Would love to hear what you have learned about being a woman and living your priorities so that you have margin.