In the news we usually hear about how difficult teens are. I know there are some great kids out there and each year on my sons birthday I enjoy reflecting on what I appreciate most. Todd and I began praying for our children before they were born so we give all the credit to God who is working within them. Happy Birthday Aaron! As I think about your last year here is what are thankful for most in your life:
1. Conviction’s from Scripture. It seems like the things you feel strongest about are from growing convictions from the Word of God. Keep this up and you will enjoy your spiritual journey more.
2. Integrity. We are so grateful that you are growing in personal integrity. In a world full of compromise and no absolutes, it thrills us that you do what you say you will do when you say you will do it. It gives us joy that it bothers you to see someone cheat or steal.
3. Discernment. We see that you are growing in your ability to see truth.
4. Hard Work Ethic. Yesterday on spring break you chose to power wash for 5 hours non-stop without anyone even asking you to do the work. We see you work hard at whatever you do. This will serve you all through your life.
5. Passion for Learning. Though you have always enjoyed learning I see a renewed passion for learning that is unique to many. We love that you enjoy books, research and learning from others. This will serve you well as a leader and someone who can add value to others.
6. Holiness. We see you growing in your desire for holiness. This will help you live pure and righteous before the Lord and grow in your intimacy with him.
7. Servanthood. Remember that true joy comes in serving others.
8. Tenacity. We see this in basketball, running and violin. You tackle projects and obstacles until you get the result you seek. We also see this in your grades. You continue to work hard regardless of the distractions to do other things. One of two boys to make all A’s in middle school is something to be proud of.
9. Frugal. Good stewardship will serve you well.
10. Vision. We enjoy seeing you dream ahead for your future.
11. Wisdom. You are making wise choices
12. Choosing friends carefully. Genuine friendships should be positive and healthy and move you in the direction of who you want to be. A counterfeit will move the relationship the other way. This is one area that we are the most excited about for you. You seem to understand that friendships will determine the direction and quality of all of our lives.
13. Respectful of Authority. This character trait will serve you in every area of your life too. Praying you continue to remember God works through authority.
14. Teachable. This enables personal growth and development and will help you reach your greatest potential.
15. Discipline. I can’t say enough about how God will use the discipline you exercise to become successful in every area of life. Grateful to see this in you… discipline in getting up, going to bed, work (taking it around 3rd base,) physical, mental and spiritual.
All of these things we do love about you, it’s character. When everyone else is “doing it” this will keep you from joining in. These principles will impact your decisions and every defining moment you face. So we will continue to pray that you grow in these areas your 15th year.
We love you son and feel so grateful to the Lord for the young man you are becoming.