Like many of my you I spend extended time at every New Year to reflect and personal evaluation. Tomorrow I will share the type of questions that I have used for 25+ years and how it impacts my growth process. Today I want to share what I have done with my children. This morning we reflected on Jeremiah 29:11 and each of us prayed together. Each of my sons (age 13 & 16) were asked to write down the answer to these 6 questions:
1. What were some of your best memories of 2011?
2. How are you doing in your relationship with Jesus compared to a year ago?
3. Is there anything you want to do to help you grow in your relationship with Jesus in 2012?
4. Are you closer to your friends of good influence and family today than you were a year ago? Give each relationship a number from 1-10. Can anything be done to improve the relationship?
5. Is there anything you want to do in the new year to grow, develop your passion or have fun? Narrow list and prioritize.
6. If you could change one thing about those in your immediate family in 2012 (dad, mom, brother and self) what would it be?
After reflecting and writing we spent time sharing together. It was insightful and helpful. It was good to let the boys share first on each point. I learned some new things and got confirmation on some things. My hope is that they will eventually desire to perform this exercise on their own as they seek their own pathway for growth.