Today is Valentines Day and my #1 man gave me a dozen roses. In honor of this day I would like to share what I appreciate most about Todd. Many men don’t understand what Scripture teaches about manhood. There are some strong Christian men out there even though it may feel like the “pickens are slim.” For all of you single ladies I encourage you to wait for a godly man. No man is perfect (or woman for that matter) but don’t settle for less than godly character!
The Top 11 Things I Appreciate Most About A Godly Man
1. Jesus is #1. That means the Lord is his first love. I am not his first love. Nor is money, work or sports. I love that this is a truth in Todd’s life.
2. Hunger and thirst for righteousness. This is truly something my husband prays for his life.
3. Humility – My husband is one of the two most humble men I have ever known. Dr. Frank Barker is the other one. I have seen God do things through a humble man that He will never do through a proud one.
4. Love for God’s Word – The 1st time Todd asked me out on a date I said “no.” He was persistent and I began to notice a love for God’s Word that attracted me to him. He carried his bible EVERYWHERE and that got my attention. The first time I said “yes” to going somewhere with him was when he asked for some time to share how the Lord had been speaking to him through the Word. The rest is history.
5. Forgiving – A gift in our marriage has been that Todd is forgiving and does not hold grudges.
6. Servant – A Godly man has a servant heart. No matter how busy our lives are Todd is always willing to serve. I have never heard him say “that is not my job.”
7. Desire to Grow – A disciple is a learner. Todd is always reading something. He has a desire to grow.
8. Compassion – Today was a full day. Every pastor has a full life. Yesterday was an 19 hour work day for him. Due to some emergencies in our church family he had to leave this morning for the hospital. The first comment out of his mouth when he walked through the door was in regard to how folks are hurting.
9. Positive Attitude – If my husband was negative and critical I would would be divorced. It would crush my spirit. And I couldn’t bear for my boys to live in a negative and critical household.
10. Heart for the Lost – This is why Jesus came. It is impossible to be a Godly man without a heart for the lost. I don’t believe you can truly love God without loving what is on Heart, and that is people far from Him.
11. Commitment to Holiness – Todd is willing to turn from anything that might entangle him. This includes tv, movies, and the internet. He will not meet one on one with a female. And if a woman begins to tell him intimate details about her sex life (yeah this happens even at church) he will stop you. This is one confidence he will share with me immediately.
For every one of these Top 11 I could have shared Scripture. Instead I challenge you to search and find Scripture to support each. What would you add to this list?
My husband is NOT perfect. Neither am I. We work through stuff like any married couple. What I do know is that when anyone has these character traits it helps! A lot! I believe we have more peace, joy, passion and vision because of what I have shared here. Because my husband has these character traits he is also my spiritual leader and pastor.
My prayer for all of you single ladies is that you would make a list of what you want in a husband. People will tell you that this type of man does not exist. Don’t settle for less. A Godly man is worth the wait!