Today is a special day around America and more so in NYC. In addition to the ceremonies at Ground Zero, most schools here will have an assembly or something special to remember the day the world changed. Both Senator McCain and Obama will visit the sites and pay their respects to those who were slain by Islamic terrorists. 2,985 victims were slain and their names will be read one hour from now. At sun down two light beams will be on at the site of the twin towers 7 years ago. It is a day of remembering.
At least 2,985 people died in the September 11th attacks, including:
- 19 terrorists
- 2,966 victims
All but 13 people died on that day. The remaining 13 later died of their wounds. One person has died since the attacks, of lung cancer. It is suspected to have been caused by all the debris from the Twin Towers.
There were 266 people on the four planes:
- American Airlines Flight 11 (crashed into the WTC): 92 (including five terrorists)
- United Airlines Flight 175 (crashed into the WTC): 65 (including five terrorists)
- American Airlines Flight 77 (crashed into the Pentagon: 64 (including five terrorists)
- United Flight 93 (downed in Shanksville, PA): 45 (including four terrorists)
There were 2,595 people in the World Trade Center and near it, including:
- 343 NYFD firefighters and paramedics
- 23 NYPD police officers
- 37 Port Authority police officers
- 1,402 people in Tower 1
- 614 people in Tower 2
- 658 people at one company, Cantor Fitzgerald
- 1,762 New York residents
- 674 New Jersey residents
- 1 NYFD firefighter killed by a man jumping off the top floors of the twin towers
There were 125 civilians and military personnel at the Pentagon.
1,609 people lost a spouse or partner on 9/11. More than 3,051 children lost parents.
While there were mostly Americans killed in this horrific attack one must mention (how ever small the group) that non survivors were from other countries
Where were you when you on 9/11? I was on a K5 field trip to Papa Johns Pizza with Matthew. Where were you on 9/11 and how were you changed after this event?