Dear Reader, Just wanted to let you know that my family and I are celebrating my birthday (today) and the 4th of July in Williamsburg, VA this week. We left Sunday after church and got here in about 7 hours. What we have seen so far is very beautiful. I love all of the trees and wide open space that you don’t see in NYC. Every year on my birthday we try to celebrate by going to a theme park. Yesterday we went to “Water Country USA” so we would miss the Thursday crowd today. We had a great time and and stayed until closing.
Our theme for this summer is “The Summer of Fun Memories.” If you know me for long you are aware that building memories is very important to my family. I believe some of the best memories can be built in how we respond to day to day circumstances…
- How I respond to my son when he breaks that plate given to me by my deceased grandmother
- Having a funeral in the backyard for Goldie the goldfish
- Chasing down the ice cream truck with only one shoe on (one fell off along the way)
- Allowing one son to make a Target run with me at 10PM when he should have been in bed
- Finding some extra work for my children to do for a few bucks they need for “something.” Acting like I have no idea what they need the money for one week before my birthday.
- Late night talks sitting on their bed after tucking them in
One of the greatest privileges in the world is building memories with our children. So Todd and I were totally supportive when they chose the theme for summer of 2008. I hope your summer is filled with memories that will last a lifetime.